Wednesday 29 April 2015

Completed: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

I first read The Phantom Tollbooth in Grade 5 or so, I think. I didn't like it.

I therefore don't know what possessed me to take it back out from the library in order to re-read it. But I did. It sat there for a bit before I got to it.

But WOW. I'm so glad I re-read it. I think I'd put it in the top ten best books I've ever read. I think I'll likely read it many more times, as I feel there is so much more to get out of it. The way Juster writes is just magic. His imagination to create this world is incredible. I couldn't pick out my favorite part, because each and every sentence makes you think and wonder. Everything he wrote just made me gasp and laugh and reflect - it's brilliant start to finish.

Maurice Sendak (author of Where the Wild Things Are) says in the introduction that "The Phantom Tollbooth is concerned with the awakening of the lazy mind." I love this, as I think it's an excellent way to sum up how I feel after reading it.

Oh. And The Pilgrim's Progress by Paul Bunyan is on my to-read list - I have a beautiful old copy of it to read. Maurice Sendak recommended it to me...

Title: The Phantom Tollbooth
Author: Norton Juster
Published: 1961
Pages: 256

Total Books Blogged: 28
Total Pages: 7,853

No comments:

Post a Comment