Thursday 21 April 2016

Word of the ?Week: Scriptorium

This word came from The Professor and the Madman, which I finished back in the fall. I wrote down the page numbers to reference for the word (p 112 and 149), but failed to take pictures of these before sending my sister back her book.

If I remember correctly, the scriptorium is where the dictionary magic happened, in the book.

In a broader sense, it means 'a place for writing', a space dedicated to the written word, especially medieval monastic illumination and hand-copying of manuscripts. How beautiful - I feel like if I could choose, I'd give it a try to be a monk 500 years ago, grow my own food, and write and illuminate. Live in a building that today would stand in ruins in some beautiful country corner of Europe. I'm sure it was not so romantic in reality, but in a little fairy tale moment it sounds peaceful and paced without stress. I feel like I should write that as a story, and then re-read it when I need a bit of peace away from the modern whirlwind.

No comments:

Post a Comment