Thursday 18 June 2015

Completed: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

What a tour de force, and an appropriate round-number 30th book to add to the blog.

It has been some time since I was unable to put down a book. I must confess that I read a bit beyond my lunch break today in order to wrap up this book, as I couldn't tear myself away.

I find it hard to write about this story. I really want to pour it all out, but I also REALLY want you to read this book - and I can't say much about it if I want you to read it properly. The book is perfectly built. It creates its universe and slowly, tantalizingly grows. It is addictive.

I will write about Ruth instead. Ruth is the narrator's best friend. However, she reminds me tremendously of someone who I used to consider a best friend, and that person's flaws ended up driving me away. They crept under my skin and made me resentful, suspicious and frustrated, and I chose to walk away from it. Therefore, I am shocked that Ishiguro managed to write a character so similar to this person so as to bring up all of these unpleasant memories, and yet I STILL became strongly attached to this book. Normally, if I find a character unappealing, it shades the book as a whole and I find it more difficult to read. Perhaps if Ruth had been the narrator it would have turned me off of the book altogether. But somehow, this book still held me, despite this (to me) unsavoury character.

Breathtaking, thought-provoking, and challenging. Read this book.


Title: Never Let Me Go
Author: Kazuo Ishiguro
Published: 2005
Pages: 288

Total Books Blogged: 30
Total Pages: 8432

No comments:

Post a Comment