Monday 16 February 2015

My issue with the library

The original intention of my blog was to read MY books. I have hundreds that I have not yet read, all of which I specifically chose to own for a reason. A reason like "I want to read that".

The problem, or blessing perhaps, is that my children love to read as much if not more than myself and my husband. I truly believe in building a home library, but this should consist of things that last, including classic story books and small kids' books.

A lot of books that they take out each week or two as we visit our local library branch are things we don't need to keep timelessly in the house - graphic novels and comic books, leveled readers, endless numbers of Geronimo Stiltons and Percy Jackson novels. I certainly couldn't afford to buy them all, and they play such an enriching role in my kids' lives. So for that reason, I love that we can take 20 books a week out and take them home at no cost whatsoever to us. (I do pay my taxes, though!)

On the flipside, I also love books, and me in a library is like a very cliche bull in a china shop. I can't get out of there without a book, no matter how hard I try to resist. My current reading segway into young adult fiction and classic kids' books is due to browsing the shelves as my kids do the same in the kids' section. The Borrowers. Tuck Everlasting. Currently reading The Phantom Tollbooth. I have A Wrinkle in Time and Fortunately, the Milk on my library shelf waiting for me. Picked up the Alan Doyle biography OFF THE RETURNS TABLE even ("Sorry, is that being returned? Can I take it out, in that case?"). UGH.

At this rate I will never even begin many of my books... Perhaps the hubby needs to take the kids to the library instead of me...!

But in the long run I can't complain. I'm reading good books, aren't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment